Bulk test isn’t available in public WebPageTest offer.
I’ve quickly made the tutorial which you can reuse to create your own instance, for a price starting from $1 per month if you are careful 🙂
1/ Setup the main server
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- 1-2 CPU
- persistent (non persistent ok only for agents)
- SSD – 10 GB
- Add public SHH key
- Allow HTTP traffic
- Create instance
- Connect to ssh using Google Cloud Console and paste:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/WPO-Foundation/wptserver-install/master/gce_ubuntu.sh)
- Leave empty – hit enter
- Save location key
- Save wpt_data metadata
2/ Setup agent template
- Launch Google Cloud Shell and paste:
- bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/WPO-Foundation/wptagent-install/master/gce_image.sh)
- Leave wpt-agent as is.
- Paste wpt_data metadata saved when creating server
3/ Start an agent in the desired location
- Click “Create an instance”
- “New instance from VM” (left panel)
- Select wpt-agent
- Name = informational.
- Use something which helps to identify in which Area where it will be hosted
- Allow HTTP trafic (did not test without this option)
- Create the instance
4/ Start a test
- Access http://$Public_IP_of_The_Server/
- Select test location
- If no test location, restart the main server (not the agent)
- Bulk testing is now available.
How much it cost ?
Traffic cost is close to 0$ / month, excepted heavy usage.
If you don’t shutdown or close the server, it will cost:
- Agent: $15 / month / in US based datacenter ($0,021 / hour)
- Main server: $50 / month / in US based datacenter ($0,068 / hour)
=> $65 / month
- For entreprise needs, with daily monitoring:
- We cover all regions available
- The main server & agents are never stopped
- 25 regions x 18$ on average
- 1 main server at 50$
- a bit of storage + backup
- Then add variable cost.
- => Around $600 / month
Official documentation is here: https://docs.webpagetest.org/private-instances/gce_server/